Grantsburg Volleyball Tonight On WXCX, Rombach Breaks Down Matchups
The Grantsburg Pirates Volleyball Team is a stellar unit. Our Bob Rombach will be on the call for their matchup with Webster tonight on 105.7 Classic Hits. Bob offers the following takes and his predictions on that matchup plus other key D3 Regional Final matches to be held on Saturday, Oct. 23.
#1 Grantsburg vs. #2 Webster
* Hear it on 105.7 WXCX starting at 7pm.
* Grantsburg beat Clear Lake in straight sets last night.
* Webster beat Unity in four sets (Unity had beaten Webster twice this year).
* Grantsburg has won 16 straight regional crowns.
* The Pirates defeated Webster earlier this year 3-1.
* Grantsburg is 76-2 in sets this year.
* Webster is 17-5 with a set record of 51-21.
* Prediction: Grantsburg wins 3-0.
#1 Washburn vs. #2 Cameron
* These two haven’t played each other this year
* Washburn is 24-6 (two losses to the Pirates)
* Washburn only lost two matches in straight sets. One to Duluth East the other to Grantsburg.
* Cameron is 20-5 (two losses to the Pirates)
* This will be a very good match… Cameron could definitely pull off the upset.
* The winner faces the winner of the Grantsburg/Webster tilt.
* Prediction: Washburn wins 3-2.
#1 Eau Claire Regis vs. #2 Colfax
* Regis had their hands full with Mondovi in the semi-final, but still won in straight sets.
* Regis is ranked #4 in D3, Colfax is unranked.
* Regis is 38-1. Their lone loss was to Anoka (MN).
* Regis’ set record is pretty gaudy, too: 88-9.
* Colfax won the Dunn-St. Croix conference with a 9-0 conference record.
* Colfax is 18-14 overall with a set record of 58-38.
* Prediction: Regis wins 3-1.
#1 Racine-St. Catherines vs. #2 Shoreland Lutheran
* RSC is the only other undefeated team in the state of Wisconsin (with Grantsburg).
* RSC is 37-0 with a set record of 84-4.
* They demolished their opening round opponent (25 – 1,3,3)
* They won their second round match without much trouble as well.
* They have already beaten Shoreland Lutheran 2-0 one week ago.
* Shoreland Lutheran is 16-9 on the year and finished third in the same conference as RSC.
* Grantsburg and RSC would match up in the state championship match. Wouldn’t that be awesome!?!
* Prediction: RSC wins 3-0.
Here’s an interesting tidbit… no number one seeds in the state have lost yet. I’m thinking that definitely changes tonight. Of the four games I’ve outlined here I predicted the number one seed moving on. I think the only one in question is the Cameron/Washburn match. I kinda wanted to pick Cameron, but I also know Washburn comes to play in the tourney. Should be fun! – Bob Rombach