Deer Harvest Numbers Down Compared To 2012

Thursday, November 14th, 2013 at 7:00 am

Numbers from the opening weekend of firearm deer season in Minnesota are showing that the harvest is down.

The Department of Natural Resources says the harvest for the first three days was down 8 percent from 2012. Hunters registered just over 77,000 deer from Saturday through Monday.

Big game program leader Leslie McInenly tells the Associated Press that it’s not surprising. Last year’s opening weekend weather was almost ideal and the corn harvest was nearly complete. But she says Saturday was marked by winds up to 30 mph and more hiding places in pockets of unharvested corn.

The deer harvest was down 19 percent in the northeast, 4 percent in the southeast and 6 percent for the rest of Minnesota.

The DNR still expects a final tally similar to 2012 when hunters killed about 185,000 deer.

Comment on this Story

Join the conversation! All fields are required, but your email address will never be published or shared. Your comment will be held for moderation before posting.