Investigation Into Walker’s Aides Ends, Walker Asked About Running For President
A secret investigation into Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s former aides and associates has closed without any charges being filed against Walker.
The Associated Press reports that the so-called John Doe investigation ended last week. Six people have been charged with crimes stemming from the investigation that looked into activity in the Milwaukee County executive’s office when Walker held that position.
Four former Walker aides as well as a campaign donor have been convicted on charges ranging from theft to misconduct in office.
Walker has long maintained he did nothing wrong and predicted months ago the investigation was nearing an end.
In the latest Walker news, his name is being spread as a potential presidential candidate in 2016. The Gov. responded to the rumors by saying that he enjoys being mentioned as a potential Republican candidate for president in 2016 because that means he’s doing a good job as governor.
Walker was asked whether he intends to run for president following his Thursday speech at the annual Wisconsin Newspaper Association/Association Press convention.
Walker told the AP that if he’s doing a “really crappy job” then he wouldn’t be talked about on the national stage. But he says if he does a good job, he will continue to be talked about.
When pressed if he will run or not, Walker dodged the question as he usually does by saying he worked too hard winning election as governor in 2010 and again in last year’s recall election to give it up.
Says Walker, “I like being governor.”