43° and Mostly cloudy at 2:08am in Pine City

Wisconsin Officials Reminding People About The Dangers Of Carbon-Monoxide

Friday, November 16th, 2012 at 9:41 am

Temperatures are dropping and people are starting to crank up the heat inside their homes, so Wisconsin safety officials are reminding residents to protect their families from carbon-monoxide this winter.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the U.S. Almost half of all those deaths happen during the winter time.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that can be emitted from aging or unvented furnaces or other gas-powered home appliances. Some of the signs of exposure can be: headaches, dizziness or nausea. Exposure to the gas can be fatal to people who are sleeping.

State law requires that every house have a carbon-monoxide detector in the basement and on every floor. To help prevent against any carbon-monoxide poisoning test your detectors regularly, change the batteries annually and make sure all heating appliances are well-vented.

Comment on this Story

Join the conversation! All fields are required, but your email address will never be published or shared. Your comment will be held for moderation before posting.

*