41° and Overcast at 6:19pm in Pine City

Dayton Says Special Session To Address Natural Disasters Coming In August

Thursday, July 12th, 2012 at 7:16 am

On Wednesday, Gov. Mark Dayton said he expects to call a special legislative session sometime in the last two weeks of August to help areas of Minnesota hit recently by storms and flooding.

“It probably won’t be sooner than that, and I hope it won’t be later than that,” the DFL governor told the Associated Press.

Dayton met with legislative leaders from the Republican and Democratic-Farmer-Labor parties in the governor’s state Capitol office for an hour Wednesday, July 11, before announcing tentative plans for a short session focusing on disaster relief.

But at a Capitol news conference, they said they first must wait for federal officials to complete assessments and other work. With the federal government expected to pick up 75 percent of public infrastructure damage costs, Dayton said, he and the leaders agreed the state should take care of the remaining 25 percent.

Comment on this Story

Join the conversation! All fields are required, but your email address will never be published or shared. Your comment will be held for moderation before posting.

*