UPDATE: Helicopter Needed In Bad Crash On 70, NAMES RELEASED

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

WCMP has obtained the names of those involved.

(Click link above)

UPDATE, Tuesday morning: The Pine County Sheriff’s office has confirmed that five people were injured in the crash, two of which had to be airlifted to a hospital. Three others were apparently taken via ambulance to other nearby hospitals.

A very bad accident happened on MN Highway 70 about five miles east of Pine City this afternoon where at least two vehicles were involved in a head-on collision. First responders were on scene quickly and were working feverishly on multiple victims. No names are being released at this time.

Officials have temporarily closed 70 now between Pine City and Grantsburg, and there is no exact timetable for it to be reopened.

A medical helicopter was also being ordered. When WCMP was on the scene at about 3:30pm, several victims were being attended to outside of the two vehicles, but first responders were also working to extricate at least one other person from their vehicle.

The accident was approximately half way between Pine City and the river, about four miles from the border. A third vehicle may have been involved, but the two in the head-on-head collision were both in the eastbound lane, on the south side of the road.

Deputies from the Pine County Sheriff’s Office were directing traffic on scene. Pine City Fire was also there as were various other medical personnel.

1. Rebecca 05/31/12 at 5:34am

It would be nice to have more updated info, such as the names of the victims. No one we know has any idea who the people were, but everyone we’ve talked to is curious whether they are people we know. I’m sure immediate relatives were informed, but some people would like to send get well cards to those injured, if they’re people we’ve known as acquaintances, former school mates or co-workers, etc. If not a privacy issue, it would be great to be able to do so. Thanks.

2. jesse 05/31/12 at 6:51am

Rebecca,

Very few media outlets have reported this crash. I have no idea why the names haven’t been released by the State Patrol, but they haven’t. We’ll keep asking, but it is surprising how little press this accident has received statewide. Possibly due to the holiday weekend?

3. PC resident 05/31/12 at 8:09am

Jesse: You are the news media, and Pine City Pioneer had nothing about it until today. Pretty pathetic reporting.

4. jesse 05/31/12 at 9:02am

Don’t know if you understand how this works PC Res, but I can only report on the information the authorities give me. I can call a dozen times, but if they won’t release the names, they won’t release the names. My point in saying that very few media outlets are reporting on the crash is really to say… we are the only site out there with pictures of the scene. Obviously we (I) was on the scene within minutes of the crash to get those pictures. If/when the names are released, I will post that online and report on it on-air as well.

5. Another PC Mom 05/31/12 at 12:05pm

I would just like to note that the PC Pioneer is a WEEKLY edition newspaper, not a daily. There have been a few comments about the PIONEER not being up to date online and this is why, they publish weekly. Thanks.

6. jesse 05/31/12 at 1:39pm

Good point APCM. Both The Pioneer and WCMP are staffed by small staffs that try to get as much good information out as we can. Here are the names of the crash victims. Fortunately nobody was badly hurt.

redrockonair.com/news/2012/05/31/wcmp-obtains-names-of-those-involved-in-sundays-crash/

7. PC resident 06/1/12 at 8:28am

APCM, but it is online so really, to create online interest and people looking in everyday, they easily can update more than once a week. We are in the 21st century now. If they want to just be a weekly paper, then take down the online site. Ditto for Red Rock.

8. jesse 06/1/12 at 11:12am

The concept you mention about getting people to come back daily is an interesting one PC Res. I believe our website is updated daily, and it appears you are coming back daily, so we must be doing something right?

I’m hoping you’ll post again!

9. PC resident 06/1/12 at 11:24am

Yes RedRock does update, and I appreciate that- shows that you are keeping up with the times and trying to keep us local yocals informed.

10. Rebecca 06/3/12 at 3:23am

Jesse,

Thank you for updating on this story. Yes, I noticed that the story was not on any of the news stations we watched on TV (I figured maybe it’s because we’re not in the twin cities…), so I’m thankful it was reported on here. I also appreciate your continued work on getting the names released. I’m going to click on that link next- if there’s anyone we know, I can then send a card. Thank you again. Sincerely, Rebecca