45° and Partly cloudy at 6:17pm in Pine City

Cole, Pangerl Speak About Internal Investigation At Press Conference (Audio)

Tuesday, January 31st, 2012 at 7:17 am

Last week, we were the first media outlet in the state to report on the year long internal investigation by the Pine County Sheriff’s Office. On Monday, both Pine County Sheriff Robin Cole and Pine County Commissioner Mitch Pangerl spoke about the investigation and answered questions from reporters. Here is the audio from the press conference.

Sheriff Cole’s prepared statement

Commissioner Pangerl’s prepared statement

We are also opting to post the complete audio file from the press conference even thought the quality of that file is not of great resolution.

Questions answered by Cole segment 1

Questions answered by Cole segment 2

1. Juli 01/31/12 at 12:00pm

regarding meth bust:
    So when I went to school 8 ozs was a half pound, and it says 6-1 oz bags so is there 2 ozs missing somewhere? Just curious if there is more than just guns missing!!!

2. Marion Larson 01/31/12 at 12:21pm

On April 1, 2010 my home was broken into. I gave a list of property taken to the dep.sheriff who investigated.. I never heard anything from the office after the initial contact at my home. Is there any way I can check to see if any of my property is in the propery room? I did not have any guns taken even though I had a number of them in my home. The deputy thought I may have scared the intruders off and they didn’t have time to take the guns.

MML

3. Pine County Tax Payer 02/1/12 at 12:52pm

In 2008 Cole was a Lieutenant with the Sheriff Offices and was in charge of the evidence. Then if you remember he was fired from the Sheriff’s Office. Isn’t this like the pot calling the kettle black? How can an agency do an internal investigation on itself, without the cooperation of the County Board? Shouldn’t an outside agency conduct the investigation like Kanabec County had Pine County do when their Chief Deputy got arrested for DUI?
    Just another Cole smoke screen to cover up his plans to eliminate anyone who didn’t support him in his campaign, or be a future threat to him on next election, and to cover up the fact of losing over 20 tenured employee’s by being fired or them leaving to avoid working in a hostile environment.

4. Pine County Taxpayer II 02/2/12 at 8:12am

Pine County Taxpayer hit the nail on the head! Looks like a witch-hunt to get revenge, and set himself up for the next election.

5. Ann 02/2/12 at 11:20am

Pay attention – that is WHY he was fired – while employed he was finding out of lot of this and to save their butts they fired him. They’d have never “settled” if they had a leg to stand on.

6. PCMOM1 02/2/12 at 12:01pm

PCTP. Very good and insightful information- and I agree, he’s throwing mud against the wall in an act of retaliation. He might just find himself the one being charged !

7. jesse 02/2/12 at 1:11pm

I haven’t lived here as long as many of you, so I may not be as qualified to comment. Still, when the Sheriff tells me that people are coming to him and telling him their guns were taken and never returned, I believe him. When the paper trail shows clearly that those guns weren’t sold, but are missing, someone must know something.

I think Sheriff Cole has opened himself up to a lot of second guessing by this investigation. He’s put himself in a very hard place. It’s difficult to believe that he would do that just over an axe to grind with Mansavage. I’d guess if that were his motive, none of us would even know any of this.

I encourage you to listen to the second half of the Sheriff’s report this morning. It’s more compelling than anything I’ve seen about this story on any other media outlet.

8. PCTAXPAYER 02/3/12 at 8:17am

I really prefer NOT to listen to him too much. Sheriff really likes to hear himself talk. I feel he’s a media hound and he’s found the perfect outlet and perfect tool in RedRock OnAir. When that wasn’t enough he ran to the metro. Basically, he is really hyping the situation -

9. Outside Observer 02/3/12 at 1:06pm

Pine County Tax Payer evidently didn’t even listen to the news release – multiple outside agencies have been involved in this investigation, certainly including the County Board. And Pine County Tax Payer II sounds like #1 doing a little astro-turfing. A lot of people are having their past misbehavior catch-up with them, and they (and their families/friends/other beneficiaries) are clearly running scared and trying to discredit the investigation.

Having known Robin Cole since well before he came to Pine County, and having some knowledge of his military career, I am quite confident in his ability as well as his integrity. And according multiple Pine County residents that I have reason to trust, this clean-up of Pine County has been a long time coming. Somehow, the so-called “loss of 20 tenured employees” sounds like roaches scurrying in front of an exterminator.

10. PC Transplant 02/4/12 at 9:41pm

Taxpayer & Taxpayer II. Are you really that afraid of the good things our Sheriff is doing and are you just that pigheaded to see our former Sheriff was hiding everything he could because he didn’t know how to do his job. You must be disgruntled friends of the former Sheriff. Was Sheriff that did nothing really help you. The Sheriff we have now is holding people accountable and we now have better police coverage with less money spent. Wake up and get over the former Sheriff thing.

11. agreed 02/6/12 at 9:12pm

I agree with pc transplant and outside observer. Pc taxpayer 1&2, along with pcmom need their head examined, they are part of the problem with this city and county, they are disgraces to the community. You people are the reason that the area is full of corruption, crime, drugs. I feel bad for the “real” good people in the town and county.

12. Hometown Girl 02/18/12 at 8:20am

Now that they have decided there would be no charges, I don’t see Fox9 news up here reporting on that. Sort of kept that quiet.