36° and Mostly cloudy at 12:01am in Pine City

Fire Marshall Determines Mora Fire Accidental

Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 at 7:58 am

The Minnesota Fire Marshal’s office says many of the smoke detectors were not working in the Mora apartment building where three people died in a fire last week.

Investigators say all hard-wired smoke detectors in the four apartments were not working when the fire broke out last Thursday. Each apartment had a battery-powered smoke detector, but only one of those smoke detectors may have been operational.

The state fire marshal’s office says the fire appears to be accidental, but the cause won’t be known until the investigation is complete.

The fire killed 48-year-old Michael Caley and his 12-year-old son, Coleman, and a neighbor, 68-year-old Shirley Norling.

Preliminary autopsy results indicate the three died of smoke inhalation. A fourth person was injured and flown to a Twin Cities hospital.

2 Comments

  1. PineCoResident 12/14/11 at 10:18am

    This is such a sad story, but a wake up call to check your smoke detectors on a regular basis!!

  2. Julie 12/14/11 at 11:35am

    So often the landlord is blamed when it is determined that the smoke detectors were not working. My experience as a landlord is that the tenants so often take the batteries out to use in other places, disconnect the batteries because they are beeping(battery going dead or food related smoke). We, as landlords, stress to our tenants the lifesaving reasons to keep each detector work but even when they know an apartment inspection is coming, we find disconnected batteries, ect. They will even unplug the hardwireded detectors if they beep. So sad~

Comment on this Story

Join the conversation! All fields are required, but your email address will never be published or shared. Your comment will be held for moderation before posting.

*