61° and Clear at 1:21pm in Pine City

Walker Taking Heat For Christmas Tree

Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 at 5:00 am

Gov. Scott Walker is taking some heat for calling a decorated tree in the center of Wisconsin’s Capitol Rotunda a Christmas tree, not a holiday tree. The tree is adorned with ornaments and has a star at the top.

The roughly 30-foot tall tree had been called a Christmas tree since it was first displayed in 1916 until 1985 when the name was changed to the more generic holiday tree.

The Madison-based Freedom From Religion Foundation has opposed calling it a Christmas tree, saying it would offend nonreligious people and amount to a government endorsement of Christianity.

Walker spokesman Cullen Werwie told the Associated Press that it’s a Christmas tree and he doesn’t know what more to say about it. The tree is on display from late November to early January.

1. Pine City 11/8/11 at 9:20am

I dont care that he is a republican. I hate how America elected officials shy away from traditions. I like this guy its a christmas tree its as simple as that. I am always affended when religious displays are not allowed and yet thats ok with the press and others. People get over it. By the way I WISH HE WOULD OF BEEN OUR GOVENER a common sense guy that dont shy away from his traditions. I hope he is able to stay in office and keep up the fight and I hope that his agenda is given time to work for us people that work every day and pays taxes it is also refreshing that he is tying to make a difference whether its taking on big unions or curbing how much money is spent. As we try to manage our checkbooks it nice to see someone that wants to do same.

2. S. Carlson 11/8/11 at 9:21am

If it looks like a Christmas Tree, and acts like a Christmas Tree….It’s a Christmas Tree! If you call it a holiday tree…it’s still a Christmas Tree! Merry Christmas Governor Walker!!

3. Bob 11/8/11 at 9:06pm

Way to stand your ground Governor Walker! It “IS” A CHRISTmas Tree!!! also I like the 2 comments above Mine :-)

4. James 11/9/11 at 9:17am

Yawn… I’m non-religious and I’m not offended by anything to do with Christ in public. The reason this tradition is fading away is because more and more people don’t believe in it. That’s about it. I don’t believe in Christ, but I DO believe that this is a Christmas tree.

5. Hinckley 11/9/11 at 9:20am

I am affended when people from Pine City can’t spell offended.