Health Officials Watching Lakes Closely For Rare Parasite
Heidi and Chad LaMeyers of Wyoming, Minn., watched their 11-year-old daughter Hailee die three years ago from an amoeba in northern Minnesota lake that went up through her nose and into her brain.
KSTP reported that in just four days Hailee went from showing flu-like symptoms to being dead.
After two more children recently died in Florida and Virginia from the rare amoeba, health officials are paying closer attention to waterways.
At least 16 states have reported deaths from an amoebic brain infection. Most of those who have died were kids because they tend to dive into lakes, forcing water up their nose.
The parasite has been found in lakes across the country.