Hinckley Man Accused Of Sexually Assulting 11-Year Old Boy

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 at 6:58 am

Monday we learned of a truly horrific crime that was committed in Hinckley last week where it appears a man broke into a families home in the middle of the night, threatened to kill an 11-year old boy if he didn’t keep quiet, and then sexually assaulted the boy in his own home. The boy was treated at a nearby hospital for injuries he sustained in the assault and is now at home recovering with family members.

According to the criminal complaint, the Pine County Sheriff’s was called to the family’s home at around 7 a.m. last Thursday morning. Officers spoke to the boy, who offered a detailed description of his attacker, and officers began collecting clues from the scene. Some personal property was also stolen during the attack.

Apparently the assailant used a chair to climb up and enter through a nearby window, found the boy sleeping on the couch and raped him. Officers discovered that that the chair used in the break in belonged to a nearby neighbor as part of an outdoor patio set, and that neighbor ended up providing clues that led to the arrest of one Forrest Ernest Mattinas, an 18-year old man from Hinckley.

The criminal complaint states that officers then followed the tip from the neighbor to a residence where it was believed Mattinas was staying, and upon arriving there, they found personal property that matched the property taken from the home where the assault occurred. When officers arrived, Mattinas was asleep, and was wearing clothing that, according to the criminal complaint, appeared to have “blood and/or feces” on it. Mattinas was immediately taken into custody.

The criminal complaint also states that Mattinas said he didn’t remember going into anyone’s house and said he didn’t have sex with anyone the night before saying: “I can’t even remember anything last night.” Mattinas told officers he had been at Valley Fair with several friends the day before and became intoxicated on the ride home.

Mattinas’ appearance matched the description given by the boy very closely. The 11-year old victim in the crime later positively identified Mattinas as the man who had attacked him.

Mattinas was arraigned yesterday on four counts of criminal sexual conduct in the first degree, two counts of first degree burglary and one count of making terroristic threats. Those counts carry a total possible penalty of 155 years in prison and up to $240,000 in fines.

Judge Krista Martin reviewed the charges in an emotion packed courtroom yesterday, and then set conditional bail in the case at $500,000. The prosecuting attorney stated that he believed Mattinas to be a flight risk as he is known to stay in multiple residences, some of which are in Canada, and is also known to be a Canadian resident. Mattinas is due back in court next Thursday on these charges.