48° and Clear at 12:04pm in Pine City

Hinckley Man Accused Of Sexually Assulting 11-Year Old Boy

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 at 6:58 am

Monday we learned of a truly horrific crime that was committed in Hinckley last week where it appears a man broke into a families home in the middle of the night, threatened to kill an 11-year old boy if he didn’t keep quiet, and then sexually assaulted the boy in his own home. The boy was treated at a nearby hospital for injuries he sustained in the assault and is now at home recovering with family members.

According to the criminal complaint, the Pine County Sheriff’s was called to the family’s home at around 7 a.m. last Thursday morning. Officers spoke to the boy, who offered a detailed description of his attacker, and officers began collecting clues from the scene. Some personal property was also stolen during the attack.

Apparently the assailant used a chair to climb up and enter through a nearby window, found the boy sleeping on the couch and raped him. Officers discovered that that the chair used in the break in belonged to a nearby neighbor as part of an outdoor patio set, and that neighbor ended up providing clues that led to the arrest of one Forrest Ernest Mattinas, an 18-year old man from Hinckley.

The criminal complaint states that officers then followed the tip from the neighbor to a residence where it was believed Mattinas was staying, and upon arriving there, they found personal property that matched the property taken from the home where the assault occurred. When officers arrived, Mattinas was asleep, and was wearing clothing that, according to the criminal complaint, appeared to have “blood and/or feces” on it. Mattinas was immediately taken into custody.

The criminal complaint also states that Mattinas said he didn’t remember going into anyone’s house and said he didn’t have sex with anyone the night before saying: “I can’t even remember anything last night.” Mattinas told officers he had been at Valley Fair with several friends the day before and became intoxicated on the ride home.

Mattinas’ appearance matched the description given by the boy very closely. The 11-year old victim in the crime later positively identified Mattinas as the man who had attacked him.

Mattinas was arraigned yesterday on four counts of criminal sexual conduct in the first degree, two counts of first degree burglary and one count of making terroristic threats. Those counts carry a total possible penalty of 155 years in prison and up to $240,000 in fines.

Judge Krista Martin reviewed the charges in an emotion packed courtroom yesterday, and then set conditional bail in the case at $500,000. The prosecuting attorney stated that he believed Mattinas to be a flight risk as he is known to stay in multiple residences, some of which are in Canada, and is also known to be a Canadian resident. Mattinas is due back in court next Thursday on these charges.

1. Resident 08/16/11 at 9:06am

What a worthless savage. 155 years isnt enough, put him down.

2. Speechless 08/18/11 at 7:52am

Absolutely appauling !!! I’ve always thought the easiest way to deal with molesters is to take away their urge….. So I say CASTRATION would be a logical answer. 155 years is NOT enough time. That poor little boy could be scarred for life and for what reason ????? A drunken spree after Valley Fair. I’ll pray for that child and I’ll pray that our justice system truly makes this scumbag pay !!!

3. Tonya Mattinas 08/18/11 at 10:19pm

You know there is a fine line between, being in a black out and being dead sober, in that kind of act,a good person knows to pray for both parties, now a cold savage would only pick one side. Alcohol makes alot of good people commit the ugliests crimes, how come it is still legal and gets away un-noticed to the eye’s of you judgers n spectators. I’m just saying, could be wrong, but I would understand your comments if and if he did this in a sane state of mind.

4. PC MOM 08/19/11 at 8:55am

A drunken stupor is not a defense. Alot of people drink alcohol and do not go out and committ heinous crimes on other people. Making Alcohol illegal would not stop rapists or murderers. He is a savage, if he can do this to someone that inebriated, he can do it stone cold sober. No excuses- stop making excuses.

5. Reality Bytes 08/19/11 at 9:53am

So, if a person commits a heinous crime during a black out drinking binge, that crime should be excused? I wonder if your opinion would change if it was your son, brother or nephew who was raped brutally in their own home. There is no excuse for these actions. Ever.

6. sane state of mind? 08/19/11 at 12:22pm

There are many people that drink too much fire water and get in fights and arguments only to regret it in the morning…However, breaking into a house, stealing and RAPING A YOUNG BOY THAT IS HOME ALONE may be that “fine line??” that you are talking about. The comment you made is so ridiculous that I cant believe they posted it here. Also, drinking doesnt make you sane or insane or a criminal or non-criminal, plenty of people of age drink and dont have to steal and rape. Underage drinking-illegal Open bottle on the ride home-illegal Breaking and entering-illegal Theft-illegal Raping a young boy-illegal…Eye for an eye, maybe the tables will turn, prisoners dont like child molesters.

7. Tonya Mattinas 08/22/11 at 7:50pm

Type your minds and opinoins, thats all they are, are pointless things to read anyways.It’s not like your changing the world or nothing, just speaking on things that interest your minds I guess. Just resaying the same thing over and over, wow!

8. HinckleyMan 08/23/11 at 9:28am

Very proud of our police force for arresting this monster in such a timely manner. The conclusion is bad all around. Its a shame that an 18 year old will spend the rest of his life in prison. Its a shame that we will be paying for all of his meals and healthcare because he is a criminal. The biggest shame is that this 11 year old boy will have to go to bed everynight thinking about what happened and feeling unsafe in his own home. On the positive side at least this boy won’t have to worry about seeing his attacker ever again.

9. Ralph Erickson 08/24/11 at 11:06am

It’s scum people like that with no up bringing I’m sure that this is the results. I’m sure he probably had a nasty life buts its time to send this type a message savages. A sturdy rope behind a pickup sounds about right. I’ll drive.

10. Concerned Mama 08/24/11 at 4:36pm

Go ahead and defend this piece of crap! He shouldn’t have been drinking in the first place, he is only 18. I don’t understand how some people can make such ridiculous excuses for someone who isn’t a human being. Let’s hope he never sees the light of day again and gets his just punishment!

11. Supervisor MM 08/25/11 at 1:50pm

How could you defend this monster? what if it was your son he brutally raped and traumatized for life?!!! Alcohol is not an excuse, alot of people drink and DO NOT RAPE young boys!!!Yes, these are our opinions and maybe they will not change the world…..but its obviously sparked a flame in your tiny little world!

12. ExHinckley Resident 08/26/11 at 3:36pm

It is really sad to see someone sticking up for this monster. Obvious that she is family.. I moved from there recently because I was sick of having the nasty Savages trying to break in to my house.I think it is time for the tribe to butt out and let them get what they deserve.. They are going to love him in the pervert palace.. Have fun with that.. As for Toyna seriously. Bad idea putting your real name out there.. Ha enough people from hinckley have already seen this… Good luck with that.. There are still some good people left in Hinckley.

13. Wow 08/27/11 at 5:01pm

I can’t believe that this piece is defending that piece.
    I know who Tonya is…and this whole family for that matter. All a bunch of worthless drunk druggies. They will accuse and point fingers all day when something is done to their family but now trying to defend forrest when he does this? Wow is all I can say to that. Forrest is lucky that this boy wasn’t my kid because he would never make it to trial. As far as Tonya…why don’t you go get boozed up, walk into a hospital, puke on the floor, crap yourself and pass out in the lobby…oh wait, you have already done that, my bad. If anyone actually knows the physiology of the human brain, being drunk does not make you do anything you would not actually do in a normal state, it just makes you not care about the consequences. We all should thank the mother for raising up this batch of losers.

14. Lake Lena 08/29/11 at 3:15am

Put that fake medicine man name on the list Tommy Mattinas. Tommy is Tonya and forest father from Canada. He would come to the rez and steal money from the weak minded that do not know better. He would do ceremonies, he would do scams. They also are claims Tommy abuses his 30 some kids… I can see why they are so messed up. And her sister died of alcohol related death on the rez. I don’t know why she doesn’t see the truth that alcohol is bad choice in life and that life could of been better for her family if they choose the sober path… but no, they will do the drinking and drugging.

15. put down the bottle 08/29/11 at 11:06pm

THAT WHOLE FAMILY IS MESSED UP. TONYA HAS A BIG SCAR ON HER FACE BECAUSE SHE GOT CAUGHT SLEEPING WITH HER SISTERS BOYFRIEND. REAL CLASS ACT!

16. Hinckley 08/30/11 at 9:08am

www.theweeklyvice.com/2011/02/stephanie-mattinas-turned-her-sisters.html

Ha

17. Mr-Minnesota 08/30/11 at 4:00pm

Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. —
    SAULT STE. MARIE
    Disorderly endangering
    Sault Police were called to the War Memorial Hospital Emergency Room early this morning, arriving to find a woman had fallen asleep after spitting on the floor and soiling herself within the facility.
    A subsequent investigation resulted in the arrest of Tonya A. Mattinas, 24, for disorderly endangering after officers determined she would be unable to care for herself due to her high level of intoxication. She was booked into the Chippewa County Jail.
    www.sooeveningnews.com/news/police_and_fire/x432881840/Police-Fire-April-15-2011

18. Tonya Mattinas 08/31/11 at 1:29pm

why wouldn’t I, I don’t have nothing to hide, its reality….why would you not put your full name out there, oh yes I forgot, your the weakminded and are scared to let the people think and know who is thinking it…….scared ass punks just stay home and clear of anything ok…..keep your cute ass’es safe! And who are you to me, nobody’s and that must just piss you off, you say you know me and you know sorry to let you down but I do not know who ever you are with them little bitchnames aka nicknames! :D

19. Mattinas's all 10 of us here :D 08/31/11 at 2:28pm

You know what, you’re glue and we’re rubber, what ever you say bounces off of us and sticks to you! Thats about the degree of this site and conversation! Eat your wheaties kiddies :D

20. Unlucky 09/1/11 at 8:36am

I guess 10 is better than 11.

21. Kanabec Parent 09/1/11 at 10:59am

This story just breaks my heart. My heart, thoughts and prayers go to the Family of this poor little boy. May you find peace and faith in god for the senseless acts that have been done.
    My question is: where and how in the hell does any 18 year old male get alcohol? I’m assuming that someone in the group that attended Valley Fair that day was over 21????
    Now, to thy one(s) that provided the alcohol, do you at all feel any guilt by what has been done? You say that Forrest was “not in the right state of mind” because of drinking or alcohol. Do you realize that you, thy one(s) that provided the alcohol, caused this “not right state of mind?” When I saw this article and read the local papers, you cannot help but think that the server(s) or provider(s) of the alcohol should be guilty has well.
    May god be with this young little boy and his Family. May god grant you strength in the coming days.

22. Zack Miller 09/2/11 at 5:54am

Sounds like the Mattina’s should be wiped off the face of the earth. No one would miss such scum if they were just erased from humanity. Just go ahead and think it’s okay to ruin a little boy’s life with such a disgusting tradgedy. Romans 12:19 “I will take revenge, I will pay them back” Says the lord.

23. Speechless 09/7/11 at 2:12pm

Fine Line…….. There ain’t no fine line here. Your brother committed a horrible crime (I still think they should include castration as part of his sentence). This matter is BLACK/WHITE…….Now he needs to pay dearly for his drunken stupor

24. disgusted 01/12/12 at 12:52am

TRASH, just complete trash, glad i gave him an ass beating when i did.. This is just horrible

25. Nowhere to run 04/11/12 at 4:52am

This whole family needs an ass beating. I hope they left town and never looked back.