36° and Mostly cloudy at 12:11am in Pine City

Pedestrian Killed By Semi In Chisago County (Update)

Tuesday, June 28th, 2011 at 8:02 am

A pedestrian was struck and killed by a semi on Interstate 35 in Chisago County early yesterday evening, according to the Minnesota State Patrol.

The accident was reported shortly before 7 p.m. and involved a semi that was driven by a 53-year-old Canadian man.

The pedestrian was identified as 18-year-old Holly Bekkala, of Calumet, Mich. Bekkala passed in front of the semi near mile marker 157 on the northbound side of I-35.

1. Tina 06/28/11 at 11:07am

My husband and I passed by this incident and it was really confusing – we sadly saw the signs of a deceased person but we didn’t see an accident or stalled car just a semi on the side of the road. This sounds just so unfortunate and I hope that the details can be figured out soon for the victim’s family’s sake.

2. Joe 06/29/11 at 8:33am

from what i’ve heard this was a suicide. she parked her car @ a nearby rest area, walked to the interstate & stepped out. such a tragic thing & her being so young.

3. Jenny 06/29/11 at 11:26am

I knew the girl personally && its really sad she decided to end her life the way she did. She was such a beautiful person inside and out. RIP my friend

4. Angel 06/29/11 at 1:19pm

I also knew the girl. She was very sweet and beautiful. It truly is a tragedy for her family and friends.

5. maggie 06/29/11 at 4:02pm

My heart goes out to her family- whoever they are. As a mother, this breaks my heart.

6. Anonymous 06/29/11 at 5:37pm

I just want to say for the drivers sake that he is not at fault. I live near where she is from, and from what I’ve been told it isnt the first time she has tried. It is truly sad, and from hearing about her life, you sometimes wonder what else is going on in peoples lives. Everyone says she was a great student and a wonderful person. RIP Holly, I didnt know you, but from what I’ve heard, you were a great person.

7. Dan 07/8/11 at 4:30pm

I’ve been dating her sister for a while, so i knew her pretty well. She was visiting her boyfriend in the twin cities and was heading home. She seemed so happy that weekend, but according to my girlfriend, she was very impulsive in her previous attempts. It’s a shame she had to go like this. Her future was so bright. She will be deeply missed.

8. H 08/10/11 at 6:12pm

I wonder how her boyfriend feels? Hopefully, there isn’t any guilt of trying to see the signs to prevent her from taking her life. I feel so bad for her family, she was so young, how could such a lovely girl be so troubled? Especially with the world right in front of her. I hope she is in peace and lives in everyone’s heart.

9. Anonymous 12/28/11 at 12:22pm

I saw her run in front the semi. I was coming back from a vacation and we had a blanket in our car so we covered her up. Probably the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life. I feel horrible for that semi driver, and her family.

10. Kelsey 01/30/12 at 7:49pm

Rest in peace, lovely Holly. We all miss you so much. Not a day goes by where I don’t question myself, and ask myself why we didn’t do more to help you. <3

11. David Raznick 06/6/12 at 11:39am

My heart goes out to the truck driver. I’m sure he has to relive this tragedy everyday.

12. Anonymous 10/7/12 at 11:03pm

I witnessed her sucide. It took me 3 months to be able to close me eyes at night and to not remember and relive that horrible evening. I can still picture everything in my head. It is never going to leave me.