68° and Clear at 6:30pm in Pine City

Nearly 36,000 Layoff Notices Sent To State Workers

Friday, June 10th, 2011 at 11:37 am

Nearly 36,000 state employees will receive layoff notices beginning today, as a state government shutdown looms at the end of the month.

Minnesota’s second shutdown in six years would start on July 1, if Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton and the Republican-controlled Legislature cant come to an agreement to bridge a $1.8 billion gap in the budget. The two sides continue to squabble over taxes and spending.

Budget talks have yielded little progress of late. Management and Budget Commissioner Jim Schowalter told the Associated Press that layoff notices had been mailed. His agency is in charge of shutdown planning and will likely ask a court to keep workers such as prison guards on the job to perform critical services. Schowalter hasn’t said when the state will go to court.

The current state budget runs out at the end of the month.

1 Comment

  1. statetaxpayer 06/13/11 at 8:28am

    Well that will really do a lot of good won’t it? All those State employees out of work, not being able to make their mortgage payments, and losing health care benefits. How is that going to get us anywhere. I’m tired of the politicians on both sides playing with our lives. Do they risk losing their health insurance, or their homes?

Comment on this Story

Join the conversation! All fields are required, but your email address will never be published or shared. Your comment will be held for moderation before posting.

*