Sheriff Cole Provides Update On Maddy Montanye

Friday, April 22nd, 2011 at 10:45 am

We are continuing to gather more information on the status of 11-year old Maddy Montanye, who was accidentally shot in the head last night at her home in Braham.

Pine County Sheriff Robin Cole tells WCMP that Maddy is still in critical condition this morning at Hennepin County Medical Center, and in the Pediatric Care unit after her father’s gun discharged in the house. Maddy was sitting at the kitchen table and other relatives were present at the time of the accident.

Sheriff Cole said that the matter is still under investigation, but he did confirm that the cartridge was a .22 caliber long rifle,  which was fired from what he called “a small pistol.”

Cole said the deputies described the scene as “very chaotic… it was a horrible scene” upon their arrival. Cole also said that deputies weren’t able to determine whether the bullet came out after entering the girls head.

The girl’s father, Jesse Montanye, has spoken openly with authorities, and Sheriff Cole reported that he is with other family members at HCMC.

Even though the family has a mailing address in Braham, the home is still located in Pine County.

Our Jesse Logan conducted a full audio interview with Pine County Sheriff Robin Cole, which can be heard right here.

1. dot 04/22/11 at 11:14am

What a tradgedy! Guns do not belong in the house when cleaning or whatever and especially not when people present. I know the father feels terrible, but he should have had more sense.

2. jayne 04/23/11 at 2:53pm

you need to take a look at reality –he was doing something with his daughter –they were outside and then she came in–very good friend of my fasmiy –shame on yourself for thinking you are perfect

3. Amelia 04/26/11 at 3:20pm

I am also an 11 year old girl who is doing a project in school on guns and gun safety. This story is very sad and I hope she gets better.

4. jenni 04/28/11 at 4:05pm

I agree with Dot. Why was he cleaning the gun in the house? And if the chamber jammed (as I heard reported on the news) why didn’t he take it outside to unjam it?? Careless and stupid.

5. Laureljean Montanye 04/28/11 at 4:55pm

This is Grandma Montanye and I would like to add that some of the inaccuracies of this story make it that much more tragic..
    Family was wrapped up in this event and could not speak when things started spinning out of control. Jesse was not outside target practicing. Maddie was not at the kitchen table. He did not touch the trigger. A friend had a problem with his pistol and brought it to Jesse for assistance. Jesse stepped outside to fire a test shot and nothing happened. Their
    livingroom adjoins the diningroom in an oblong fashion. He was at the table with his friend and when he pulled back the slide, no bullet came out. He put the slide back in place and the gun fired. He will be the first one to tell you that he broke the cardinal rule of gun safety, but that being said, it was a fleeting moment decision that changed everyones’ life forever. I learned a very long time ago when I was once critical of a walker being high on the list of being responsible for infant injuries. BUT it happened to me and learned quickly that I will NEVER again second judge a persons’ decision when a mistake is made. The love between parent and children in this family is like none I have ever experienced before. We have been fortunate to have prayers coming on Maddys’ behalf from the West coast to the East Coast. This was an unfortunate accident and we are still trying to figure out what Gods’ purpose is in this event. We are praying for a successful recovery for both Maddy (BooBoo) and for Jesse as well. Please join me in vowing to not take a breaking news story at face value. While we are all eager to know what is going on, let’s give the family time to rally from the shock and then allow them to speak.. Thank you for listening..

6. LYNN 04/30/11 at 7:59pm

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN AND WE CAN NOT EXPLAIN WHY THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED ACCIDENTS. I DO NOT KNOW THIS FAMILY, BUT I AM SURE IF THEY COULD HAVE PREVENTED IT FROM HAPPENING, THEY WOULD HAVE. DON’T PASS CRITISISM UNLESS YOU LEAD A PERFECT LIFE, AND I AM SURE YOU DON’T, NO ONE DOES. THE IMPORTNT THING IS TO PRAY FOR THIS GIRL AND THE FAMILY. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!

7. June M. Nick 05/1/11 at 8:52pm

My heart goes out to the family, especially her father. All the thoughts and prayers are for Maddy.
    I have met this little angel and she is a little doll.
    I know the good Lord had a purpose for this situation.
    Just remember. you cannot believe everything you read.Their purpose is to sell papers and not concern themselves with the tragedy this famly has suffered.
    Much love and prayers to you, Maddy. You are a real trooper and you will come back better and stronger
    Grandma Laurie’s Mom