37° and Overcast at 1:51pm in Pine City

Dayton’s Budget Won’t Include Casino Option

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 at 5:45 am

Gov. Mark Dayton says he won’t include new gambling dollars in the state budget he will present in two weeks. Minnesota faces a projected $6.2 billion deficit over the coming two years, and Dayton has been looking at all possibilities.

The Democratic governor told the Associated Press that there won’t be a casino component to his forthcoming budget.

Dayton indicated support for a state-owned casino as a candidate last year. A budget plan his campaign released included a state-owned casino at or near the Mall of America in Bloomington or the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. He said then that such a casino could produce up to $80 million for the state right away.

Dayton says the money wouldn’t come in soon enough so it won’t be in his budget.

Comment on this Story

Join the conversation! All fields are required, but your email address will never be published or shared. Your comment will be held for moderation before posting.

*