36° and Overcast at 3:24am in Pine City

Duluth Man Dies From Fire Started By Cigarette

Monday, January 3rd, 2011 at 6:36 am

An unattended cigarette apparently caused a fire that killed a man living in a Duluth high-rise.

The Associated Press reports that Firefighters were called Saturday night to Tri Towers, a 14-story apartment building. They found smoke coming from a 13th-foor apartment, entered the unit and put out the fire.

A man who apparently was smoking a cigarette on a couch was found badly burned. The Duluth News Tribune reports he was taken to a Duluth hospital, then airlifted to Regions Hospital in St. Paul but did not survive.

The victim’s name has not been released.

The building is scheduled to go smoke-free in March.

Comment on this Story

Join the conversation! All fields are required, but your email address will never be published or shared. Your comment will be held for moderation before posting.

*