Chief Deputy: Heckel Has Previous Drunk Driving Offenses

Monday, January 4th, 2010 at 11:24 am

Moris

The man who caused the double fatal crash near Pine City New Year’s Day has previous DWI convictions, says Pine County Chief Deputy Steve Ovick.

According to the Minnesota State Patrol, Michael Moris (right), 50, and Robin Moris (left), 48, both of Pine City were killed when their car was hit head-on by a Chevy truck driven by Scott Heckel, 44, of Pine City.

The State Patrol reports alcohol was detected in Heckel’s system at the time of the crash.

Ovick:

According to the accident report, Heckel was driving on Highway 70 and passed a Dodge Caravan driven by Patricia Denn, 59, of Frederic in a no passing zone at the crest of a hill and then struck the Moris’ Oldsmobile Intrigue head-on.  The Intrigue driven by Michael Moris was traveling westbound on Highway 70.

Heckel was airlifted from the scene and remains in the hospital with what Ovick describes as “serious” injuries.

Ovick does expect charges to be filed once Heckel is medically able to be released.

Ovick on extent of charges:

Funeral services for Michael and Robin Moris are Friday.  Details here.

1. Concerned Citizen 01/4/10 at 11:48am

Please remind me… why do we let these drunk drivers back on the streets? They do this over and over again!

2. Clean up the streets 01/4/10 at 4:01pm

My prayers go out to the family of the Moris’s. May God comfort you in these trying times and know your family is being thought of.

3. Concerned 01/5/10 at 7:49am

We need these drunks off our roads….. No excuse for a bad bad system letting them out on the roads.

4. tim johnsen 01/5/10 at 12:18pm

multiple d.w.i.’s !!! no valid drivers license !! What a poor excuse for a human being. On Friday, while he’s recovering in a hospital bed, I will be at church burying a great friend and his wife. Hope you are out of the hospital soon. We’ll see to it that a prison bed will be waiting to replace your hospital bed. Losert !!!

5. concerned 01/5/10 at 4:35pm

Mike and Robin were great people.They would help any one that need it.This guy needs to pay for what he did.Send him to the south prison.Have Heckel come to the funeral and see what he did.Drunk drivers need to get off the road. We need better laws on this. We all need to work together to get these drunks off the roads.God Bless the Moris family!! Your not standing alone.St Luke’s Family will be there.

6. unknown 01/5/10 at 8:05pm

tim if you dont know the man dont judge the man

7. Pam 01/5/10 at 10:24pm

Please keep the Moris Family in your prayers.
    They have a very tough road ahead.

Keep also in your prayers, Mr. Heckel and his family.

8. hockeymom 01/6/10 at 7:56am

This is a tragic story and happens way too much. A true example that ticketing someone with DWI maybe some jail time and a fine doesnt work. the system is failing. from what i see this man is an alcholic and needs treatment. they dont just “let” them back out onto the rode,they make a choice to drink and drive, even though they have no license or maybe they have even had thier vehicle seized.this is a disease and he needs help. how many innocent people have to die before they change the system and treat these repeat offenders? my sympathies go to all involved, it could be anyone of us at anytime!

9. Disgusted 01/6/10 at 10:29am

“Unknown,” anybody who continues to jeopordize other people’s lives by getting behind the wheel drunk deserves to be judged. It isn’t like he made a bad decision once, he’s done it over and over and over again. A lot of people suffer from alcoholism, but that doesn’t mean you have to get behind the wheel of a car.

10. PC MOM 01/6/10 at 10:33am

I agree that with the outrage for this tragic and preventable accident. And I want to point out as well, that it’s easy to just say because he was intoxicated that this happened. This accident could also happened if someone was careless, impatient, and ignorant of traffic laws as well. There are SO many careless and selfish drivers out there… people texting, people angry and in such a hurry they can’t wait for someone to speed up. Look how people drive on the freeway, weaving in and out of traffic… for what? To get somewhere 10 seconds faster! It’s easy to paint it as a just a big bad drunk driving issue- but it could just as easily be a careless, speeding or impatient ignorant driver. My prayers and condolences go out to the Moris family and friends.

11. TIM 01/6/10 at 11:11am

“unknown” you are confusing judgement with personal opinion. Were my words too harsh? Possible. but I am angry. Come Friday morning when I carry my friends casket down the isle, I’ll be even angrier. Judgement will come by a jury of his peers. Until then,Pam has the right idea. I will pray for both families. Because that is exactly what Mike and Robin would have done.

12. remembering P.J.P. 01/6/10 at 11:41am

Please keep the moris family in our prays. Will every one put a candle in your window to remember them? And let it burn out. Am glad that Tim wrote what he did because alot of people feel the same way. We stand behind you.

13. My Heart Goes Out to All 01/6/10 at 12:46pm

This story is certainly sobering in itself. Unfortunately I know the driver AND those killed.
    I pray for everyone and their families. I am angered by our legal system. It’s a tough call. But we all know that a person that gets caught driving under the influence is thrown in jail, only to be released, scheduled a court date somewhere within the next 6 months, fined, forced to attend a class or two, spends a little time in the klink (with free food, a arm bed, a roof over their head and in most cases cable tv). What would really be wrong with a little treatment while they are in there?
    We called it impaired and sadly that is just want it is – there are good people that make bad choices. I think what has happened is awful and unfair.
    I hope that the Moris family can move forward with the blessing of the great memories that they have shared with Mike and Robin. I also hope that Scott can find some peace and contentment in his life, that does not include the horrible affects of alcohol.
    It is a terrible disease and has taken more people that I want to remember. This is exactly the reason that I quit drinking completely several years ago.

14. nursing student 01/6/10 at 6:15pm

I’m saddened by this and also very angry. I prey for both families, but I feel anger for Heckel his semi crashed into my sisters truck a few months ago and he still owes her the cash to fix her truck, my sister is a young single mom and has tried to work with him to get her vehicle taken care of he avoids her but we were always able to find him up at the bar on hwy 70

15. Outraged 01/6/10 at 8:58pm

Nursing student posted Heckel has a semi? That is truly the system failing us. Anyone with a commercial driver’s license is subject to random drug tests. I have a semi, I know. No one with past DWI’s should be able to drive a semi. My thoughts and prayers to the Moris family. I hope you feel the outpouring of love and concern from the Pine City area.

16. Wade Key 01/10/10 at 7:41pm

What wonderful people Mike and Robin were. One of my in-laws I actually liked. God bless to you kids with your tough times ahead.

17. Torn heart 03/16/10 at 9:58am

I dont even know where to start. I need to say Im sorry I know it probaly doesnt mean much coming from a family member from the other side but Im grieving also for us but more for the Moris’s, family and friends I think about them everyday they sounded like wonderful people. It’s hard I dont even know what to say : ( …

18. Debbie Moritz (McGinn) 04/18/11 at 8:37pm

I have known Scott Heckel in the past and yes he has driven drunk many times. I believe that he should of gotten more time then they gave him for having so many previous offenses and taking two innocent lives. I can’t believe that people will put other people in their hands when they drink. Prayers go out to the family.

19. Minnesota expartriate 03/16/12 at 4:14pm

I new Robin and her mom Joanne back in Chicago growing up as kids, then had the pleasure to have them join us in Minnesota in various towns, Mike and his siblings next in Minnesota between Colorado and various states after we all grew up and moved on. they are still my family and in my hearts forever.
    please celebrate the two souls and their families. Love # 44