Harris Couple in Murder-Suicide Known as “Perfect Family”

Thursday, August 6th, 2009 at 11:23 am
Ouellette

Image: Facebook

Sam Klemet reports:

A Harris home known for its beauty and couple who neighbors describe as a “perfect family” is now the site of a brutal murder-suicide.  Police say Doug Ouellette, 38, strangled his wife Candice “Candy,” 38, to death before taking his own life in the family barn.

George Stenger III, whose house is about 700 feet away from the Ouellette’s, says he heard screams coming from the home Wednesday night.

The Chisago County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call from one of the couple’s twin eight-year-old daughters at the residence on Holman Avenue around 9:15 p.m.  The daughter reported that her father was choking her mother.  When law enforcement arrived, they found Candy Ouellette deceased inside the residence.  Doug Ouellette had fled the scene.

He was found dead inside the shop area of an outbuilding. The Chisago County Sheriff’s Office tells Red Rock Radio he hanged himself.

Picture 1237Chisago County Chief Deputy Bob Shoemaker says the motive is unknown.  He says there is no history of past domestic violence with the couple.  Shoemaker did note that police responded to a call in June from Doug Ouellette for a suicide threat.

Neighbor Carol Stenger says the couple were “friendly people,” adding that Doug Ouellette loved the outdoors and sports.  She said, for the most part this was “not a dysfunctional family.”

The Ouellette’s have three children, two daughters who were in the home at the time of the crime, and a son, who neighbors say was not home.  Chief Deputy Shoemaker tells Red Rock Radio the children are with family members.

Ouellette Home

Ouellette Home

Mavis Ramberg is a neighbor of the family.  She says her grandchildren are in the same class as the Ouellette’s three children.  She describes Candy and Doug as, “fine, good, and good with the kids.”  She adds that there was no reason to believe the family was having problems.

Neighbor Michelle Fisk is praying for the family and says she hopes the tragedy is an eye-opening experience for the community.

The Chisago County Sheriff’s Office continues the investigation.

1. Krista 08/6/09 at 5:19pm

I can’t believe this has happened to this family…
    The three children I know.
    My younger sister (two years younger than me) is in the same grade as them. And Morgan was one of my best friends. They will never forget this very day, or the actions they did, or their father for the thing he has done, to their mom and their children….

2. Jessica 08/6/09 at 5:30pm

Morgan and Lauren are my best freinds and I feel really bad for them and my older sister krista is Morgan’s best freind also and I also sort of new there mom candy and lauren was in my class in 2nd grade

3. Frank 09/26/09 at 3:21pm

I’m Doug and Candi’s uncle. This is so so sad. Untreated depression is something that no person in America and no family should have to go through. You become someone other than the real you. May God take both of them with him and may he bless these three wonderful gifts they left behind with love and sunshine forever.

4. anna logan 10/1/09 at 6:32pm

my daughter samantha was friends with both lauren and morgan she stayed the night there on many occasions…she was devestated to hear of this tragedy…she cried…my heart goes out toth chidren and sam hopes they are ok

5. Jodi (Conlin) Amos 10/19/09 at 9:23pm

I went to Irondale HS with Candi & Doug. We have not been in contact since then, but it’s amazing how 20 yrs can seem like yesterday. I honestly can’t remember ever seeing Candi without that big smile. She was always so full of joy & spread it to others. We now live in NC (Fort Bragg)& are back in MN for a visit. I learned of this tragedy tonight while at dinner with another Irondale grad. The news was devastating. We have two girls (8 & 6) and I could just picture what those girls(&their brother)must be going through. For the family & friends of Candi & Doug especially the kids-please know that we are praying for you.

6. Jessica 07/9/11 at 8:26pm

I went to school with the kids. Lauren an Morgan. they are my age, I really miss them I havent seen them since the accident. :(

7. Tony Urbanski 02/27/13 at 5:51am

I love you my 2nd cousin.