WI Accepting Applications for BadgerCare Plus Expansion
MADISON – Governor Jim Doyle announced Monday that applications are now being accepted online at badgercareplus.org for the BadgerCare Plus Core Plan for Adults with No Dependent Children. The Core Plan is an expansion of BadgerCare Plus and provides access to Wisconsin’s most chronically uninsured population – low-income adults without dependent children. Benefits for qualified applicants will start on July 15th, 2009.
“During this difficult budget environment, it’s important we continue to protect our basic priorities. Today, we are making quality, affordable health care achievable for people who traditionally have not had any options,” Governor Doyle said. “We are providing coverage to those who have often gone years without health insurance, and moving forward on our goal of providing access to health care to 98 percent of all Wisconsin residents.”
The BadgerCare Plus Core Plan for Adults with No Dependent Children is a limited plan that covers basic health care services, including primary and preventive care and generic drugs to low-income, chronically uninsured adults. Applications will be accepted starting June 15, 2009. People who have been without health insurance for a year or more, or lost their health insurance through no fault of their own and have a limited income can apply online at: www.badgercareplus.org. Once an individual has been approved, their health care benefits will begin on the next available enrollment date (always the 1st or the 15th of the month).
Individuals may wish to consider applying for the BadgerCare Plus Core Plan if they:
* Are a Wisconsin resident between the ages of 19 through 64;
* Are a U.S. Citizen or qualifying immigrant;
* Do not have dependent children, under age 19, living with them and are not pregnant;
* Have a monthly family income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level ($1,805.00 for a single person and $2,428.33 for a married couple);
* Do not have health insurance or have not had access to employer subsidized health insurance during the previous 12 months, with a few exceptions; and
* Are not enrolled in or able to enroll in BadgerCare Plus, Medicaid or Medicare.
Funding for the BadgerCare Plus Core Plan is provided through the hospital assessment that was approved by the legislature and signed into law earlier this year.
For more information on the BadgerCare Plus Core Plan for Adults with No Dependent Children, or to apply, visit: www.badgercareplus.org or call 1-800-291-2002.