ECE Awards $15,500 in Grants this Cycle
BRAHAM, MN-A park, a playground and a public transit program were just three of the 10 projects to benefit when East Central Energy’s (ECE) Operation Round Up® Trust Board made the recent quarterly grant awards. Nearly $15,000 was distributed in this cycle.
The Operation Round Up funds originate as voluntary donations from ECE members who agree to have their monthly electric bill rounded up to the next whole dollar. The difference goes into a fund, and each quarter, an independent ECE member trust board reviews grant requests and distributes the funds. More than $950,000 has been distributed since the program began.
Grant recipients for the summer quarter include:
· Parks and Recreation Committee of Gordon, WI–$2,000 for structural repairs to a picnic pavilion in the local park.
· Mille Lacs Public Transit, Inc.–$2,500 to assist with the purchase of a replacement bus for public transit and volunteer driver services in Mille Lacs County, MN.
· Rush City Park Board–$2,000 to assist with the cost of upgrading a walking trail in Rush City, MN.
· Hasso Briese Post 0473 American Legion–$377 to purchase five American flags that will be displayed at a monument in Benton County, MN.
· Central Minnesota Boy Scouts of America–$2,700 to provide scholarships to youth within ECE’s service territory to participate in the scouting program.
· Child Care Choices: Reason for Hope Retreat–$200 to assist in providing information on health-related issues and community events to families affected by a disability.
· Friends of Father Hennepin State Park–$2,000 to help with the cost of a new slide and material for a surface underneath playground equipment at the park in Isle, MN.
· Paradise Pride, Inc.–$881 to support an activity for athletes with special needs who are part of the Paradise Pride program in east central Minnesota.
· Big Pine Lakes Association–$1,000 to assist with a project to preserve the quality of Big Pine Lake and other lakes near Finlayson, MN.
· Chisago County, MN–$1,265 to be used to help stage the Children’s Water Festival.
ECE members who would like to join the Operation Round Up program can sign up by calling 1-800-254-7944. Non-profit organizations which serve ECE members can contact Tina Lanhart, 763-691-2065, if they are interested in applying for an Operation Round Up grant.